How do I remove a device from MDM?
By default, Apple allows the MDM profile to be removed from devices via Settings at any time. However, there are ways to enroll devices that restrict this capability, as discussed in this article.
To fully remove a device from all forms of management, the necessary process will ultimately depend on how the device became enrolled in MDM.
If the device was enrolled manually or using Apple Configurator: there are two ways that devices can be unenrolled.
- Open Settings on the device.
- Go to General > Device Management.
- Select the MDM profile.
- Select 'Remove Management'.
2. Via SimpleMDM:
- Click the device name.
- Click 'Actions'.
- Select 'Remove'. This will send a command to the device instructing it to delete the MDM profile.
Note: if the device has Supervised Mode enabled and you would like to disable it, you will need to erase the device even after removing it from MDM.
If the device was enrolled using Automated Enrollment with Apple Business/School Manager (formerly DEP enrollment): there are additional steps required to remove management.
- Release the device from your Apple Business Manager account: https://support.apple.com/guide/apple-business-manager/release-devices-asmec4d28461/web. Note: this step must happen first - otherwise the device will automatically re-enroll after being erased.
- Delete the device record from SimpleMDM.
- Erase the device.