Enrollment with Apple Configurator
Install Apple Configurator Software
To enroll devices using Apple Configurator software, you will need access to an Apple computer running macOS.
The latest version of Apple Configurator can be downloaded for free from the Mac App Store.
First, open the Apple Configurator application on your computer. Connect the device or devices that you would like to enroll using a lighting to USB adapter. Select the device(s) and click the "Prepare" button at the top of the application window.
Configurator will ask you which mode you’d like to use. Select "Manual".
Apple Configurator will ask you if you’d like to assign the device to an MDM. Select ‘New server…’ if you haven’t completed this process before.
The following screen will allow you to specify a name for your MDM as well as the enrollment URL. To obtain your enrollment URL, sign into SimpleMDM and complete the following steps:
- Within SimpleMDM, click the "Devices" link on the left hand side of the screen.
- Click the "Enroll Devices" button in the upper right of the screen.
- In the "Enrollments" tab, select the name of the group you want to enroll devices to. If the group enrollment does not already exist, click "Create Enrollment", select the group name, and then click "Create".
- Copy the enrollment URL provided on the screen under the 'Apple Configurator' section (bottom-right).
Note: While SimpleMDM provides an optional configuration profile for download, we do not suggest using this method for enrollment with Configurator as it requires additional manual steps.
Once you've copied the enrollment URL, enter it in Configurator and click "Next".
The following screen will ask you to add anchor certificates. You can leave this as-is.
Supervisor will guide you through a few more setup screens. You will be asked if you'd like to:
- Supervise the device and block other computers from managing it.
- Provide information about your organization to be displayed on the device.
- Skip certain set-up screens during the initial iOS startup.
- Create or use an existing configurator identity. This is essentially a certificate that allows you to re-access these devices down the road with Apple Configurator on the same or on a different computer.
Once you’ve completed these steps, Configurator will begin setting up the devices you selected initially or plug in subsequently. As these devices are configured, they will appear in your MDM software automatically.